Welcome to the Colorado Chapter of AER!
The CAER Board Members welcome you to your CAER website.
CAER Awards Criteria:
President’s Award: This award recognizes outstanding leadership in service to people with visual disabilities. The current board president will select and present this award.
Gary Schmidt Award: This award honors an AER member who works directly with student/clients. Nomination criteria include: ethical standards, sense of humor, degree of excellence in job performance, and professionalism. The CAER Board and Janice Schmidt review the nominations.
Connections Award: This award recognizes cooperative efforts that cross organizational lines, perhaps even groups working collaboratively to benefit our field. The CAER Board considers the nominations.
Ken Neve Award: This year CAER is introducing a new way to recognize an AER professional in the area specific to orientation and mobility. The Ken Neve Award honors a man who was an amazing teacher, co-worker and role model in the world of O&M. Ken brought humor and warmth to all situations. He worked at the Colorado Division of Vocational Rehabilitation for 29 years. Nomination criteria include a CAER member who is in the field as a practicing Orientation & Mobility Specialist; dedication to life-long learning; and a role model for others in the field.
Lifetime Achievement Award: This award is presented to professionals who have given of themselves to clients/students throughout their career and are preparing for retirement.
- Professional Development & Support (Colorado members received reduced rates to CAER sponsored events!)
- Financial support: See Mini-grants and ACVREP reimbursements.
- Advocacy at local and national levels
The funds are available to defray the costs of:
- Conference Attendance
- Student Activities
- Programming Needs
- Professional development projects
- Assistive Devices
- Applicant must be a current AER member or be sponsored by an AER member.
- The maximum amount of funds available will vary; the allotted amount per grant will not exceed $300.
- Recipients are only eligible to receive a mini-grant once every two years.
- Recipients need to fulfill their obligation to provide CAER with their product of how the mini-grant money was used within 90 days of check issue.
- Mini-grants are awarded every year in November.
To apply: Click here to navigate to the Downloads page to read the criteria, fill out the application, and submit it to CAER.
Send completed application as an attachment to the CAER email address: [email protected] (If you don’t hear back from us within 1 month-please email your application again.
Reimbursement for initial ($100) and renewal ($50) certification through ACVREP may be available to Colorado members. After receiving your initial and/or renewal, please submit a copy of the certification and letter requesting reimbursement to CAER at [email protected]. You must provide proof of AER membership.