The new law adds Sections 56353 and 56354 to Chapter 778 of California Education Code:
“Visually Impaired Pupils: Expanded Core Curriculum”
As of January 1, 2020
- School districts, county offices of education, and charter schools will be “authorized” to
- “consider elements of the Expanded Core Curriculum” when developing IEPs for students with visual impairment
- Evaluations must be conducted by “appropriately certified specialists” occur in
- “familiar and unfamiliar environments”,
- “varying lighting conditions”, and
- “home, school, and community”.
- Services are permitted “before or after school hours”.
- The education agency must provide effective transportation.
The bill was developed by the ad hoc FAPE Committee of the California Association of Orientation & Mobility Specialists (CAOMS) in collaboration with the Legislative Committee of the California Council of the Blind (CCB).