Adaptive Physical Education Teacher (APE)
Date posted: 10/31/2022
Location: Bronx, New York
Posted by: The New York Institute for Special Education
Salary: Based upon education/years of teaching
999 Pelham Parkway N.
Bronx, New York 10469
999 Pelham Parkway N.
Bronx, New York 10469
- Perform duties and responsibilities of the job without physical restrictions. Maintain level of activity and physical assistance consistent with the needs of children with disabilities ranging in age from 5-21, including but not limited to assisting non-ambulatory students in campus travel and in various school activities.
- Ability to perform work that requires frequent standing, sitting, bending, reaching some lifting and carry up to 15 pounds.
Education, Knowledge and Skills:
- Must possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Physical Education from an accredited institution that is recognized by the State of New York.
- New York State Certification in Special Education, preferred.
- A proficient level of knowledge in the following areas:
- Braille Code
- Implications of Eye Diseases and Conditions upon learning
- Expanded Core Curriculum
- Functional Vision Assessment
- Reading Medium Assessment
- Developmental patterns in visually impaired
- Orientation and Mobility Techniques
- Curriculum Adaptation
Position: Adaptive Physical Education Teacher (APE)
Supervisor: Principal/Assistant Principal
The New York Institute for Special Education opened its doors on March 15, 1832 to provide education and support to visually impaired children within New York State. The institute provides onsite education for both pre-k – through high school students and sits on 17 acres of beautifully maintain grounds in the Bronx, NY. The NYISE staff is dedicated to providing our students with the best, possible education in a caring, supportive environment.
Under the direction of the Principal or Assistant Principal, the APE Teacher performs duties in the areas listed below. The APE Teacher assignments will vary according to the needs of the Institute.
The APE Teacher will make an impact in many areas, with responsibilities and duties including, but not limited to:
- Promote an attitude of health and physical fitness while keeping the physical education facilities and equipment maintained and performing other teacher and coaching duties.
- Collaborates with other disciplines to ensure team understanding of student educational strengths and needs, through evaluation, educational program planning and service delivery.
- Demonstrate understanding of typical child development and the 6 areas of development as they apply to the student’s growth and development
- Develop and write appropriate Individual Educational Plans (IEP) for each student assigned to the APE Teacher based on student needs and evaluation results. Complete educational updates as needed.
- To actively contribute to team planning and staffing meetings by sharing information with other staff members and using their input to formulate comprehensive and integrated plans for students. All staff members are knowledgeable and have specific skills relevant to the needs of students that they work with.
- Ensure that parents are informed of each student’s progress and provide assistance to families to help with carryover of skills. Maintains a mature professional attitude in the interactions with students, families and other staff members.
- Follow all procedures and routines of the assigned program and the whole of the Institute. To conform to procedures and routines of the Institute, to ensure consistency and continuity of each child’s program.
- Order and maintain special equipment and supplies as needed. If necessary, design and construct adapted equipment for students including but not limited to Tactile Graphics materials.
- Complete assigned paperwork as per the due dates stated by the program administrator (ex. Teacher Reports, IEP’s, progress reports/notes, attendance books, etc.)
- Maintain a current plan book of daily activities and schedules and submit the plan book to the Assistant Principal each week. The plan book should present a detailed description of the lesson. The completed Plan must be kept out and available for reference by administration.
- To participate in school and community based professional development activities.
- Applies ethics and standards of professional practice in the delivery of services and observes relevant laws and policies that govern practice.
- Exhibits a mature professional attitude in interactions as evidenced by effective relationships with student’s families and other staff members.
- Other duties may be assigned by your supervisors that are job related and not presented in this job description.