Assistive Technology Specialist
Date posted: 11/04/2022
Location: Jackson, Tennessee
Posted by: STAR Center, Inc.
1119 Old Humboldt Rd,
Jackson TN 38305
1119 Old Humboldt Rd,
Jackson TN 38305
KNOWLEDGE AND REQUIRED TRAINING:
At a minimum, the person occupying this position should have the educational background, professional or personal experience, or a combination thereof to provide comprehensive Assistive Technology Services and who:
- Has knowledge of anatomy, physiology, disabling conditions, and disease processes relevant to the technical aspects of the assistive technology and services that they represent or provide; and
- Regularly engages in self-guided study and attend courses, seminars, trade shows, and other continuing education activities, with at least 10 hours per year of such activities.
Such degrees, fields of study, and work experience may include without limitation: Audiology, Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy, Speech-Language Pathology, Information Technology, Rehabilitation Engineering, Biomedical Science, Rehabilitation Counseling, Social Services, Orientation & Mobility, Teacher of the Visually Impaired, or Special Education.
An Assistive Technology Certificate from an accredited university program or a third-party credentialing agency is strongly preferred. This includes certifications such as ATP or CATIS.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assistive Technology (AT) Assessments and Reports: Perform assistive technology assessments that measure an individual’s functional capacity and most appropriately match the individual to assistive technology that will best meet their needs. Complete a written report that itemizes the recommended assistive technology and justifies, with specific information, how the Assistive Technology will meet the Customer’s needs.
- AT Training: Conduct training that increases awareness, skills and competencies in the use of assistive technology so that the user may be proficient in its use.
- AT Delivery and Installation: Deliver and install assistive technology, including performing all labor required to assemble, deliver, set-up, install, or otherwise make operable AT for a person at their residence, job site, or other location requested.
- Service Coordination and Support: Provide troubleshooting services to customers remotely, at home, in the workplace, or at a location determined by the customer.
- Device Reuse: Accept donations of assistive technology devices. Sanitize and refurbish AT devices for redistribution, perform repair activities, and manage open-ended loans.
- Device Demonstrations: Compare the features and benefits of a particular AT device or category of devices for an individual or small group of individuals.
- Device Loans: Provide and manage short-term loans of AT devices to individuals or entities.
- Information: Respond to requests for information and/or put individuals in contact with other agencies, organizations, or companies that can provide them with needed information on AT products, devices, services, or funding sources
- Assistance: Provide intensive assistance to individuals about AT products, devices, services, or funding sources.
- Instructional Events: Deliver classes, workshops, and presentations that have a goal of increasing skills, knowledge, and competency regarding AT.
- Technical Assistance: Provide direct problem-solving services to assist programs and agencies in improving their services, management, policies, and/or outcomes
- Public Awareness: Perform outreach activities and attend events intended to increase referrals to the AT program.
- Communicate with clients and stakeholders about service delivery.
- Participate in Team Meetings relating to clients to provide guidance on assistive technology matters.
- Maintain current knowledge base for assistive technology and workplace accommodations.
- Other duties as assigned.
TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS: This position requires frequent traveling between client sites within the greater Nashville: Northern Middle and Southern Middle Tennessee area. A valid driver’s license, a reliable personal vehicle, and a good driving record with an appropriate level of automobile insurance is expected; however, if applicant is unable to drive for any reason, reliable personal transportation is a requirement of this position.