Assistive Technology Training Specialist
Date posted: 06/06/2022
Location: Utica, New York
Posted by: Central Association for the Blind and Visually Impaired (CABVI)
Salary: $45,000 - $50,000 annually
507 Kent Street
Utica, NY 13501
507 Kent Street
Utica, NY 13501
- Teaching experience relevant to the instruction of legally blind individuals required.
- A minimum of two years’ experience in a teaching or training capacity required.
- Minimum of an Associate’s Degrees in computer science, technology or education preferred. Formal training certificates in software or hardware applications may be substituted for advanced degrees.
- Must be knowledgeable regarding conventional hardware/software and installation on both PC and Macintosh systems.
- Required familiarity with assistive technologies.
- Must have knowledge in Google applications such as Docs and Sheets, mobile device applications including iOS and Android.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Pursuant to the Executive Order on Requiring COVID 19 Vaccination for Federal Contractors, this position requires full vaccination against COVID 19 prior to entry on duty, subject to such exceptions as required by law.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the key job elements.
RELOCATION ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE
- Remain current in all aspects of assistive technology including assistive computer technology, cell phone usage, braille embossers, CCTV products, emerging technology products including wearable devices more. This would include both hardware and software.
- Work with the Technology Manager to develop opportunities to share technology with other professionals in the form of workshops, conferences, staff training days, agency tours and more.
- Work with the Technology Manager to develop and conduct creative, interesting and educational programs for both adults and children in residential, remote and day programs. Complete all required documentation. Meet the needs of all students, in both an individual and group format. Provide classroom instruction within the technology center and assist with program participant recruitment.
- Continually research advances in the technology field, new products and applications. Attend trainings and meetings, as needed.
- Develop and ensure the provision of quality technology services and the timely delivery of these services to CABVI consumers.
- Provide technology services in accordance with the NYSCB Assistive Technology contracts including consumer readiness, assessment, equipment recommendations and installations, training, staff development, educational/workplace evaluations and remote technical assistance.
- Develop professional, collegial relationships with NYSCB, school districts, other CABVI departments, funding/grant sources and related groups.
- Provide technology services to children with visual impairments located in public/private school settings.
- Provide consultative services to teachers and school personnel. Complete assessments, develop lesson plans, and complete quarterly and annual reports. Provide training to parents and care givers, as needed.
- Provide technology services through funding streams beyond NYSCB contracted obligations including, but not limited to vouchered payments, in-kind services, private contracts and grants.
- Work with CABVI internal departments to ensure the assistive technology needs of employees are met. Provides assessment and training to employees as needed.
- Conduct community presentations on assistive technology.
- Perform technology hardware and software maintenance and troubleshooting tasks as needed
- Complete and submits all required documentation in a timely manner.
- Adapt to change and completes other duties as assigned.
CABVI offers a generous benefit package and a family friendly work environment. We offer three health insurance plans to choose from along with dental and vision insurance! A 403(b) retirement benefit is offered for this position with employer contributions along with paid time off and holiday pay! We also provide an employer paid life insurance policy along with many other employee sponsored benefits.
CABVI is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Qualified applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data or any other legally protected status.