Chief Financial and Business Services Officer
Date posted: 01/16/2019
Location: Philadelphia, PA (USA)
Posted by: Overbrook School for the Blind
Salary: A competitive salary and benefits package reflective of the applicant’s training and experience
6333 Malvern Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19151
6333 Malvern Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19151
• Bachelor of Science Degree, CPA Certification is a requirement.
• At least 5 Years of Experience as CFO, Director of Finance or Business Manager. A comparable combination of training and experience may be substituted.
• Comprehensive understanding of accounting for not-for-profit entities as well as understanding of Federal, State and Local Governmental reporting requirements.
• Proven ability to strategize and develop mechanisms to maximize revenue streams and manage expenses by engaging and leading administrative staff in enterprise-wide fiscal management.
• Proficient in the use of standard business software such as Microsoft Excel and Word and in the use of Financial and Human Resources systems. Familiarity with Google platforms a plus. Must have the proven ability to access a variety of external databases and search for information pertinent to school operations, policies and procedures.
• Effective interpersonal communications and strong oral, written and presentation skills.
• Strategic thinking skills and ability to problem-solve and make thoughtful decisions.
• Initiative and ability to work independently, and as a team member or leader as required. Able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Strong organizational and analytical skills required.
The Overbrook School for the Blind is seeking a highly qualified, versatile financial and business administrator — who exudes a passion for the school, its students and its mission — to serve as its CFO as it implements a dynamic, visionary strategic plan.
The Mission of Overbrook School for the Blind (OSB) is to develop and deliver education that enhances the options available for persons with visual impairments, including those with additional challenges, so that they have the greatest opportunity to experience active and fulfilling lives.
Organizational Description: OSB is a dynamic and multi-faceted organization centered around the operation of a private non-profit school for ages 3 to 21. Along with three other Chartered Schools for the Deaf and Blind throughout Pennsylvania, OSB receives general operating support through an annual state appropriation. OSB actively cultivates philanthropic support to increase privately invested funds overseen by the Investment Committee of the Board of Trustees, which OSB draws from annually to support both operational and capital expenditures. In addition to school operations, OSB manages expansive Birth to 3 Services in multiple counties and oversees an International Program that serves nine developing countries in southeast Asia. OSB provides support to the Overbrook Friedlander Programs (OFP), a distinct and separate non-profit that administers residential and day programs to adults with disabilities, several of whom have dual sensory impairment. Additionally, OSB provides itinerant services by Teachers of the Visually Impaired to students in local school districts and charter schools. Since 1832, OSB’s legacy of innovation in service to children who are blind or visually impaired has been promoted by sound fiscal management and careful stewardship that will no doubt be pivotal in coming years.
Job Functions: The CFO reports directly to the CEO/Executive Director and supports the following Board of Trustee committees: Budget & Audit, Investment and Facilities. This position serves as the primary staff person responsible for all financial matters, including: contracts, insurance, regulatory reporting and related interaction with state and other governmental entities. This position also provides certain financial and administrative services to OFP.
• Partners with the CEO/Executive Director, the Superintendent and the Director of School, Philanthropic and Community Relations on operational and strategic plans, providing recommendations based on sound financial analysis and projections.
• Oversees capital and operational and budgetary planning in alignment with the Strategic Plan.
• Works with the Executive Directors of OSB and OFP to promote sound strategies for the short- and long-term.
Financial and Operations Management and Departmental Supervision:
• Business Office operations including cash disbursements, banking, accounting, purchasing, accounts payable, check preparation and distribution, payroll, and financial reporting.
• Food Service operations for all school functions including the national school lunch program. Also includes meeting and banquet services for affiliated organizations and alumni.
• Environmental Services operations including maintenance, housekeeping, campus grounds, energy management and capital budget proposals.
• Computer Network administration, wired and wireless systems, hardware acquisition, school-wide technology support, including operations and training of personnel operating administrative software systems.
• Promotes productive relationships with insurance brokers, bankers (cash, commercial operations and lending) and legal counsel (for financial matters)
• Coordinates auxiliary services agreement with State agencies and other entities for OFP and serves as Treasurer of OFP.
• Coordinates the annual financial audit, Forms 990 and 5500 reporting and pension plan audits for OSB and OFP.
• Manages the relationship with the PA Independent School’s purchasing consortium.
• Supports the Board’s Investment Committee by working closely with the Committee Chair and monitoring the school’s investment portfolio as well as ensuring the Investment Committee decisions are properly executed.
• Supports the Board’s Budget and Audit Committee by presenting regular financial updates on the School’s operations, capital expenditures and budget.
• Oversees the proper management of individual restricted endowment funds.
Overbrook School for the Blind offers a competitive salary and benefits package reflective of the applicant’s training and experience. Interested applicants can apply via on-line: https://overbrook.tedK12.com/hire/
Overbrook School for the Blind has, and will continue to follow, a policy of recruiting, employing, and promoting individuals best qualified for any position by reason of education, training, and experience without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual preference, national origin, or non-job related handicap or disability.
This policy applies to all employment decisions and all terms and conditions of employment.