Director of Orientation and Mobility
Date posted: 03/11/2021
Location: Boston, Massachusetts
Posted by: Massachusetts Commission for the Blind
Salary: $35,247.68 - $100,907.45 Yearly
600 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111
600 Washington Street
Boston, MA 02111
MINIMUM ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Applicants must have at least (A) four (4) years of full-time or, equivalent part-time, professional, professional internship, administrative, supervisory, or managerial experience in business administration, business management, public administration, public management, clinical administration or clinical management or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and substitutions below.
- A certificate in a relevant or related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
- An Associate’s degree in a related field may be substituted for one (1) year of the required experience.
- A Bachelor’s degree in a related field may be substituted for two (2) years of the required experience.
- A Graduate degree in a related field may be substituted for three (3) years of the required experience.
- A Doctorate degree in a related field may be substituted for the required experience.
- Graduate degree and experience in the human services field. O&M Master’s degree or Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- O&M certification from ACVREP and experience with vision/blindness professional organizations and consumer groups.
- Thorough knowledge and experience with different O&M models, practices, policies and procedures.
- Experienced in public right of ways issues which impact pedestrians who are blind.
- Ability to respond to policy issues identified by the Commissioner and executive staff as well as high-level state officials, other interested parties, and the general public.
- Competent in partnering with a wide range of stakeholders at all levels of organizations across the state through relationship-building.
- Skilled in exercising initiative, judgment, discretion and decision-making to achieve objectives.
- Demonstrated experience in setting priorities and proposing new ways of creating efficiencies.
- Strong communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications including Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Word.
The Massachusetts Commission for the Blind (MCB) is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader to serve as Director of the Orientation and Mobility (O&M) unit. The Director of O&M will manage the unit’s programmatic activities that promote, enhance, and contribute to the agency’s mission for consumers who are blind, Deafblind, and/or blind with intellectual disabilities. This position is based in the MCB Boston office.
The Director of O&M will manage an approximately $600,000 statewide program and supply budget. The Director will also serve as a contract manager for community O&M. The Director is required to have and maintain O&M certification from the Academy for Certification of Vision Rehabilitation & Education Professionals (ACVREP) and should have extensive experience teaching O&M to adults.
MCB’s O&M unit consists of an administrative assistant and Certified Orientation and Mobility Specialists (COMS). COMS provide individualized transit and street crossing training as well as cane instruction to adults who are legally blind within individuals’ home, workplace, and community. The unit offers consultation services to consumers, families, and others on various topics including advocacy, accessibility issues, safe travel/transit routes and environmental barriers. Unit staff also present in-service trainings on blindness etiquette to professionals and consumers’ family members.
Our ideal candidate flourishes in a team-oriented human services environment. The selected applicant is analytical, detail-oriented, knowledgeable about O&M services and models, with a proven ability to build and maintain partnerships.
You can view a summary of this announcement in American Sign Language (ASL) on the MCB YouTube channel here.
Duties and Responsibilities (these duties are a general summary and not all inclusive):
- Direct and monitor the orientation and mobility (O&M) services provided to consumers in accordance with federal and state regulations, and the agency’s policies and procedures, to ensure consumers receive orientation and mobility services to enhance their quality of life.
- Direct supervision of MCB COMS and O&M administrative staff.
- Recommend policy changes and/or updates to O&M programs and services to senior leadership. Establish priorities and set goals for all O&M services at the agency, monitor expenditures of the unit, and report on progress to senior leadership.
- Lead and direct all O&M outreach efforts including the organization and implementation of related events, trainings, and more.
- Review, assign, and monitor referrals received in the O&M unit.
- Serve as contract manager for the O&M community program with vendor and its staff.
- Coordinate, implement, evaluate, and enhance services and O&M practices in partnership with agency leadership, staff from across the agency and sister agencies, Executive Office of Health and Human Services (EOHHS), vendors, key stakeholders and New England vision professionals working with individuals with visual impairments.
- Represent the agency on accessibility and transit issues which impact the blind community as assigned.
- Oversee the processing and approval of all unit fiscal processes and documentation. Work closely with O&M administrative staff to maintain O&M data management system(s).
- Provide direct O&M services to consumers and staff with vision impairments as needed.
- Participate on conference and event planning committees.
An Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer. Females, minorities, veterans, and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.