Orientation & Mobility Specialist
Date posted: 09/13/2022
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posted by: Maryland School for the Blind
Salary: Starting at $47,828 (30 hour per week position) or 55,799 (35 hour per week position)
Experience and Skills:
- Requires a minimum of O&M Certification by a recognized University Program or Bachelor’s Degree in O&M; is ACVREP certified or certifiable* in the field of Orientation & Mobility. (*ACVREP Certification must be obtained by the beginning of the 2nd year.)
- Comprehensive knowledge of O&M techniques and teaching approaches and their application to the instruction of students with multiple disabilities and visual impairments/blindness.
- General knowledge of anatomy and physiology of the eye including eye diseases and conditions.
- Valid driver’s license and clean driving record required. Business insurance is required within first month of employment.
- MSB requires its employees to be fully vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus by date of hire, with exceptions for approved medical or religious accommodations, in order to safeguard the health of our students, employees and their families from COVID-19 to the greatest extent possible.
After six months in this position, the employee is required to have:
- General knowledge and application of departmental responsibilities, philosophies, and expectations.
- General knowledge and application of MSB related paperwork.
- Comprehensive knowledge of assigned students’ O&M program needs.
- Certification in TCI and First Aid/CPR.
- Ability to cope with problems in the focused area of responsibility, and to determine when to refer non-routine problems to supervisor.