Orientation & Mobility Specialist
Date posted: 12/09/2019
Location: Riverside, CA
Posted by: Braille Institute of America, Inc.
Salary: 48,000 starting pay, depending on experience
6974 Brockton Ave.
6974 Brockton Ave.
- Master’s degree in Special Education with specialization in Orientation & Mobility;
- Strong knowledge of Orientation & Mobility training techniques and mobility devices for the visually impaired also required;
- At least one year of experience training visually impaired and/or disabled individuals is desirable;
- Good communication, training, time management, and organizational skills;
- The ability to work independently and effectively train the visually impaired to achieve their Orientation & Mobility goals is essential;
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred.
Braille Institute of America, Inc. is a private, nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform the lives of those with vision loss. Through educational training, programs and services, Braille Institute helps people regain and maintain their independence through six regional centers (Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, Anaheim, Laguna Hills, Rancho Mirage, and San Diego) and through more than 300 community outreach locations. Each year, Braille Institute serves more than 37,000 people of all ages and demonstrates that vision rehabilitation is a beginning, not an end.
We currently are seeking an Orientation & Mobility Specialist at our Riverside Neighborhood located at 6974 Brockton Ave., Riverside, CA. This position is responsible for:
- Conducting initial and on-going assessment of orientation and mobility skills for visually impaired individuals;
- Identifying and discussing mobility/travel goals and objectives;
- Determining and communicating the extent of training needed to achieve goals;
- Developing and documenting lesson plans;
- Documenting students’ progress using company data software;
- Scheduling students for Orientation & Mobility classes;
- Teaching students in the classroom, in the field, and in the home setting;
- Also teaching balance/coordination to students as needed;
- Assuring that visually impaired individuals can travel safely, confidently and efficiently;
- Conducting seminars and presentations in the community.
Braille Institute is an equal opportunity employer (EEOC). Salary is dependent on skills and experience. We offer an excellent environment and a comprehensive benefits package. Qualified candidates should send their resume and cover letter.