Postdoctoral Research Fellowship in Visual Disabilities
Date posted: 09/30/2021
Location: Bridgeport, Florida
Posted by: Florida State University
- PhD in visual disabilities, special education, or a closely related field earned within the past 5 years. Students with ABD status are invited to apply if their degree is conferred by the start of the fellowship
- Certification as a teacher of students with visual impairments
- At least 3 years of successful PreK–12 work with students with visual impairments
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to work independently and collaboratively
The School of Teacher Education at Florida State University invites applicants for a Postdoctoral Research Fellow position in Visual Disabilities Education. The primary focus of this fellowship is to build the scholar’s capacity to engage in high-quality research through structured research opportunities and mentoring. The scholar will be matched with a mentoring team consisting of research active faculty in special education who will support the scholar in building research skills and developing a research agenda.
As a preeminent research institution, FSU upholds its responsibility to serve Florida citizens and beyond through innovation, creativity, and scholarship. We are seeking individuals who embrace the belief that rigorous research and training teachers in the use of evidence-based practices are key to improving educational outcomes for individuals with visual impairment. This is a full-time postdoctoral fellowship to advance research training for individuals seeking to develop independent scholarship in the area of visual disabilities education.
Candidates should have a solid foundation in visual disabilities education. The fellowship experience may include the following:
- Working on research projects led by special education faculty. The special education faculty have several ongoing research projects that employ a range of methodologies including single-case experimental design, randomized control trials, and qualitative studies
- Develop and conduct small-scale studies
- Coursework on research design and data analysis
- Presentation of scholarly work at conferences
- Manuscript and grant preparation
- Teach courses, or participate in mentored teaching, in the visual disabilities program. The number of courses will be limited to protect time for scholarship
- Opportunities to engage with the VI community to support scholarship and expand professional networks
- Additional professional development and research training as appropriate
- Initial appointment is 12-months (renewable for an additional year).
- Salary ranges from $51,000-$55,000 depending on experience
- Benefits including medical, dental, and vision are available
- Annual professional development funds that may be used for research and conference travel as specified in the position description and a private office
- Opportunity to apply for a tenure track assistant professor position upon successful completion of the fellowship
Interested candidates should submit an online application at jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete FSU’s online application at jobs.fsu.edu, providing all educational details and a curriculum vitae. Applications are due by 11:59 pm EST on November 1, 2021. A complete application includes the following materials:
- Cover letter detailing your interest in this position and how you meet the qualifications. Include information about your background and experience in visual disabilities education and research preparation
- Proposal of scholarly project(s) and training activities that will be conducted during the fellowship. The proposal should be between 2–3 pages
- One writing sample (e.g., book chapter, chapter from your dissertation, journal article, work under review, or work in progress)
- Contact information for three references including name, title, and contact information.
For any questions about the position or the application process, please email Dr. Veronica Fleury at [email protected]
Equal Employment Opportunity: An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer.
FSU’s Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf