Rehabilitation Instructor For The Blind (O&M)
Date posted: 08/12/2019
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posted by: Oregon Commission for the Blind
Salary: $3,494 - $5,088 per month
Do you have a passion for training individuals who experience vision loss? Do you have a background in Orientation and Mobility training? If so, we would like to hear from you!
A seasoned rehabilitation professional with experience working with people with visual impairments that will have the following:
- A Master’s degree in Rehabilitation Teaching for the Blind, Special Education for the Visually-Impaired or Orientation and Mobility. OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Rehabilitation Teaching for the Blind, Special Education for the Visually-Impaired or Orientation and Mobility AND one (1) year of experience. OR
- Master’s Degree in Education, Social or Behavioral Science AND one (1) year of experience. OR
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Social or Behavioral Science AND two (2) years of experience. OR
- Five (5) years of experience.
The most competitive candidates will also have the following skills and experience:
- Ability to assess current travel skills, develop an individualized mobility program and provide direct instruction to clients who are blind to travel with efficiency, safety and confidence through a variety of environments and conditions.
- Low Vision Skills – Assessing and conducting Low Vision exams and the ability to recommend low vision solutions. Possess an in-depth knowledge of low vision tools is ideal.
- Providing orientation and mobility techniques for safe travel including ability to analyze and plan safe routes.
- Excellent skills in case management and documentation to maintain appropriate records on client’s progress (i.e., monthly and progress reports) and communicate with Center staff and counselors in a timely manner.
- Using and/or instructing use of technology (smart phones, GPS, etc.)
- Communication skills including active listening and critical thinking.
- Team Player who is part of a supportive, committed service delivery team yet able to function independently.
- Technologically savvy with the desire to learn and teach techniques for new devices, software, etc.
- Excellent organizational and attention to details skills.
- Authentic and approachable with the utmost integrity and a commitment to establishing and maintaining a culture of mutual respect, trust and cooperation with our diverse client base.
- Customer-focused with the ability to engage with diverse clients, emotionally-invested relatives, health care professionals and other para-professionals.