Teacher – TVI (Teacher of the Visually Impaired)
Date posted: 09/13/2022
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posted by: Maryland School for the Blind
Salary: Starting at $54,515, and commensurate with education & experience
Experience and Skills:
1. Comprehensive knowledge of special education principles, practices, and procedures, including developing and writing IEP’s and performing appropriate teaching techniques.
2. Experience working with early childhood preferred.
3. Minimum of Bachelor’s degree and qualifies for MSDE TVI certification required with the ability to obtain certification in special education required.
4. General knowledge of visual impairment, including causes, manifestations and adaptations.
5. Some knowledge of medical disorders such as seizures or restrictions; adaptive technology, alternate modes of communication; and/or orthopedic impairment/handling and position preferred.
6. General knowledge of core and expanded core curriculum, program development, classroom resource management, and student/personnel scheduling.
7. Must be at least 21 years of age.
MSB is pleased to offer a sign on bonus of $5000 to any TVI that is a direct hire by the school. Will discuss during the interview process with qualified candidates!
SUMMARY: With supervision, coordinates educational programs for a designated group of academic students with visual impairment.
1. Providing Service:
- Teaches visually impaired students with multiple disabilities on an individual and group basis.
- Instructs in core curriculum areas including modified and grade level content standards.
- Facilitates and participates in the development, review and evaluation of individualized educational program (IEP)which may require the ability to observe and respond to a variety of environmental stimuli.
- Conducts evaluations and assessments to determine child’s developmental status, academics status, and mastery of Maryland grade level curriculum standards.
- Instructs in expanded core curriculum areas.
- Functions as IEP case manager for assigned classroom students.
2. Coordinating Service:
- Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings, IEP meetings, staff meetings, and other school and student meetings as needed.
- Plans and/or chaperones on and off-campus activities, appointments, programs and field trips which may require the ability to lift up to 50 lbs. and push or pull in excess of 100 lbs. unassisted.
- Manages classroom resources.
- Coordinates data collection and recording.
Work Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday, with a 30-minute unpaid lunch period. This position follows the standard ten or eleven month school schedule. Additional hours or flex schedule may be required.
Pay: Starting at $54,515, and commensurate with education & experience, in keeping with MSB’s Teachers & Related Service Providers pay scale.