Teachers of the Visually Impaired
Date posted: 10/21/2022
Location: Baltimore, Maryland
Posted by: The Maryland School for the Blind
Salary: See Description
3501 Taylor Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21236
3501 Taylor Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21236
QUALIFICATIONS for both positions:
- Comprehensive knowledge of special education principles, practices, and procedures, including developing and writing IEP’s and performance appropriate teaching techniques.
- Experience working with early childhood preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree and qualifies for MSDE TVI certification required with the ability to obtain certification in special education required.
- General knowledge of visual impairment, including causes, manifestations, and adaptations.
- Some knowledge of medical disorders such as seizures or restrictions, adaptive technology, alternate modes of communication, and/or orthopedic impairment/handling and positioning preferred.
- General knowledge of core and expanded core curriculum, program development, classroom resource management, and student/personnel scheduling.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
The Maryland School for the Blind is seeking Teachers of the Visually Impaired (TVI) to work in the classroom or as Itinerant teachers!
- ON CAMPUS POSITIONS coordinate educational programs for a designated group of academic students with visual impairments.
- Providing Service:
- Teaches visually impaired students with multiple disabilities on an individual and group basis.
- Instructs in core curriculum areas including modified and grade level content standards.
- Facilities and participates in the development, review and evaluation of individualized education program (IEP) which may require the ability to observe and respond to a variety of environmental stimuli.
- Conducts evaluations and assessments to determine child’s developmental status, academic status, and master of Maryland grade level curriculum standards.
- Instructs in expanded core curriculum areas.
- Functions as IEP case manager for assigned classroom students.
- Coordinating Service:
- Participates in interdisciplinary team meetings, IEP meetings, staff meetings, and other school and student meetings as needed.
- Plans and/or chaperones on and off-campus activities, appointments, programs and field trips which may require the ability to lift up to 50 pounds and push or pull in excess of 100 pounds unassisted.
- Manages classroom resources.
- Coordinates data collection and recording.
- ITINERANT POSITIONS provide itinerant-based instruction and district/family support based on contractual requests from Local School Systems.
- Teaches visually impaired students with and without disabilities on an individual basis.
- Instructs in UEB, Nemeth, Assistive Technology and Expanded Core Curriculum skills.
- Consults on classroom set-up and adaptations to core curriculum areas including modified and grade level content standards.
- Participates in the development, review, and evaluation of individualized educational plans including writing goals, data collection, reporting on progress, and attending IEP meetings.
- Conducts evaluations and assessments to determine child’s developmental status, academics status, and master of Maryland grade level curriculum standards.
- Manages student resources.
Work Schedule: 35 hours per week, Monday through Friday, with a 30-minute unpaid lunch break. This position follows the standard ten or eleven month school schedule. Additional hours or flex schedule may be required. Travel throughout the state to provide services required for Itinerant position.
Pay: Starting at $54,515 for a 10-month position or $55,799 for an 11-month position, and commensurate with education & experience, in keeping with the MSB Teachers & Related Service Providers Pay Scale.