AER William and Dorothy Ferrell Scholarship
AER proudly offers education scholarships for individuals continuing their education in the field of providing services to the blind and visually impaired. The William and Dorothy Ferrell Scholarship is awarded every other year in even years to two selected applicants who are legally blind and are studying for a career in the field of services to persons who are blind or visually impaired.
Applications and criteria are posted online in the early part of the year when awards will be presented.
AER presented two scholarships in 2016 in the amount of $1,000 each to Natalie Martiniello and Scott Lacey. Martiniello, of Saint-Leonard, Quebec, is pursuing her Ph.D. in Vision Science (Vision Rehabilitation) at the Université de Montréal. Lacey, from Kalamazoo, Michigan, is working on his Master’s Degree in Vision Rehabilitation Therapy and Rehabilitation Counseling at Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo.
The application for the next Ferrell Scholarship will be available online in February 2018. Deadline for submitting the applications and accompanying documentation will be announced at that time, and scholarship recipients will be notified by May 31, 2018. The two winners will be announced at the AER International Conference 2018, July 25-29, in Reno, Nevada.
- Applicants for AER’s Ferrell Scholarship must be legally blind (have a visual acuity of 20/200 or less in the best-corrected eye and/or a visual field of 20 degrees or less.)
- Applicants must be studying at the post-secondary level for a career in the field of services to persons who are blind or visually impaired.
- Applicants may reside in any country.
- An AER student membership is not required but encouraged.
- Applications must be typed and submitted electronically to AER at [email protected]
- The letters of recommendation and an original, signed proof of vision status must be mailed separately to AER Scholarship Committee, 1703 N. Beauregard St., Suite 440, Alexandria, VA 22311-1744.
- The deadline for consideration for the 2018 Scholarships will be announced in early 2018. All application materials must be in the AER office by that time.